2015 Ford Fusion SE with Electronic Parking Brake experiencing excessive heat (smoke) after rear right brake replacement.

Nasenbaer69

Sep 5, 2024
As indicated in the headline, I conducted a brake repair on this car, and everything functioned well for 2-3 weeks. Unexpectedly, the rear right parking brake caliper region starts emitting smoke after around 30 minutes of driving.

Serviced and lubricated caliper slider pins (no corrosion present).
Cleaned and lubricated the slider pin location on the caliper.
-Replaced and lubricated slider pin boots
-Activated maintenance mode and correctly aligned the piston with the brake pad notch
-Lubricated all metal-to-metal contact in the region between the caliper and pads, first with STP high-temperature grease, followed by cleaning and application of silicone-based lubricant from a $2 packet obtained from AutoZone.
-Inspected the brake line for pressured accumulation of brake fluid (dripped as anticipated and did not expel forcefully)

Actions I have yet to undertake:
-Caliper replaced
-Substituted parking brake actuator -Activated maintenance mode, disconnected parking brake, then deactivated maintenance mode (disabled parking brake)

I welcome recommendations and counsel. I am uncertain of the other causes for the rotor's seizure. After using STP high-temperature oil, I observed that the caliper required considerable energy to move at the pin place, prompting me to clean it and use silicone grease instead. This will be evaluated today to see whether the issue continues.

Could my parking brake be partially engaged, resulting in the pads exerting excessive pressure on the rotor?

If I recall any more actions I have or have not taken, I will update this article accordingly. I own a video of the smoking incident, but I am uncertain of its potential utility in this context.

I appreciate your assistance in advance.

I shared this sentiment, which prompted me to open the bleeder. I anticipated the brake fluid to expel forcefully like a water pistol, but it just trickled. Is there a more effective method to identify this issue without purchasing a new brake hose?

I posit that each brake line has a valve that inhibits excessive braking fluid loss in the case of a significant leak. The value may get obstructed, hindering the backflow of brake fluid when releasing the brake pedal.

Thank you for your response. I will attempt it today. Are rear brake hoses universal, or do they vary from front brake hoses? I am encountering varied outcomes online.

Apparently resolved with the replacement of the brake hose and the bleeding of the brakes (just the rear passenger side). I should have seen that when I first reinserted the piston, there was a noticeable resistance. That was evidently a significant indication. I also did not remove the top from the brake fluid reservoir, which may have contributed during my first pad replacement. I appreciate everyone.