Antifreeze leak in 2000 Windstar

Stubbie68

Sep 5, 2024
Seeking guidance: Significant leakage is seen from just beneath the insulation before the heater core in the engine compartment. Is the leak originating from the heater core or another component before it? No liquid is visible in front of the insulation.
I just completed the transmission overhaul, including the head gaskets, and I was eagerly anticipating having it operational at last. I really hope the issue is something simple before resorting to replacing the heater core.

Thank you for your assistance.

In the event of a coolant leak and a declining header tank level, do a coolant system pressure test to identify any leaks.

Could it be the air conditioning drain?

A pressure test indicated a leak between the insulation and the firewall. The liquid contains antifreeze, not only water.

Response from an alternative website

2000 Windstar with 106,000 miles is leaking a significant amount of water from the rear near the firewall.

Ford Mechanic: HDGENE
If you suspect a coolant leak, it is advisable to use a cooling system pressure tester to see if it maintains pressure; if it does, a coolant leak is unlikely. If the substance emanating from the AC drain in the firewall is green, it is likely indicative of a malfunctioning heater core.To replace the heater core inside the dashboard air conditioning unit, it is necessary to remove the complete dashboard and recover the freon.Substantial undertaking.