Cost of Alternator Replacement

Fairchild670

Sep 5, 2024
Salutations! I just took my 2013 Avalon Limited to the repair shop. The vehicle now has 322,000 kilometers and is in the shop for the first time, apart from routine maintenance, to replace the alternator. The total expenditure for the alternator and replacement belt amounted to $1,250. Is this typical for those of you who have had one? I intended to replace the component myself; but, due to the report indicating the removal of the radiator and many other tasks, it was more efficient to delegate the work to a technician. The average cost of the alternative was $250, whereas the belt was around $80. The labor costs were substantial, and I assumed this was typical. Do any of you possess familiarity with the expenses incurred here, and can you ascertain if my costs are average and reasonable, or whether the labor expenses have significantly beyond typical rates? Thank you!

Online searches for couples indicate an average cost of around $1,160; however, this figure seemingly excludes the price of a new belt. Additionally, labor rates fluctuate.

Transversely mounted V6 engines have little workspace, rendering basic tasks labor-intensive. A technician could replace the alternator in a 4-cylinder engine in 30 minutes or less.

I just replaced the alternator on a relative's 2016 Avalon. It took around two hours to extract and install the alternator in the driveway. This included the duration dedicated to the removal and replacement of the serpentine belt, the top coolant hose, and the electronic radiator fans. I dedicated around thirty more minutes to repairing the front passenger tire, replenishing the coolant, and purging the cooling system according to the handbook.

Expense for Components:

Autozone aftermarket alternator (130 amp) with Lifetime Limited Warranty:$189.70
Toyota OEM Belt 90916-A201: $43.79 1 gallon Super Tech Pink Coolant for Asian Vehicles: $12.00 TOTAL: $245.49 + sales tax

Labor at prevailing rates should have been in the $300-350 range