Do I have a vacuum leak or is there an issue with the economy gauge behavior?

JohnBiff

Sep 5, 2024
How should the economy gauge behave while idle? Should it be positioned fully to the left, and after shifting into DRIVE, should the gauge remain at the far left or move around a quarter to the right?

Upon startup, my gauge almost reaches the extreme left position. Engaging the brake causes a minor movement, but shifting the vehicle into reverse or drive results in the needle advancing at least a quarter to the right. Does this indicate a vacuum leak?

I am unable to locate a leak; nonetheless, my seats do not lock while the engine is running.

Indeed, in the park position, my needle is almost in contact with the leftmost peg on the gauges. When in drive or reverse and the brake is engaged, it shifts a quarter or less to the right. It has consistently seemed normal to me. What do you mean your seat is not secured?

The coupe seats should be secured to prevent forward movement until the button is pressed; however, mine move without button activation, and the locking mechanism is vacuum-operated.

The vacuum is generated by the airflow velocity via the venturi. Upon shifting to D, the RPM decreases, resulting in a reduction in air intake, which subsequently lowers the velocity and diminishes the vacuum.

Thus, it is customary.

Do the seats secure while the vehicle is in park? Perhaps lubrication is required for a component.

I discovered from a service handbook (either 201 or 126, though I cannot recall which) that a leak should not be present until the needle is in the red at idle. I tested this by creating a vacuum leak at idle, causing the needle to narrowly enter the red zone.

As already said, rather typical.

It may be necessary to diagnose the seat back locking mechanism. The vacuum motors inside the seat bottom of my automobile have failed. A switch in the door jamb regulates the suction supply to the seats. Additionally, there exists a push button located on the side of the seat. It seems that either your diaphragms (vacuum motors) are defective, or one of your rubber connections has malfunctioned or detached. The connector located behind the seat is very difficult to access.

The seatbacks disengage when the door is opened as well. If such is the case, verify if they lock with the doors ajar. Should they be satisfactory

I closed the doors, started the vehicle, shifted into drive, and can still adjust the seat forward.
Which section more challenging to affix under the seat: the end that connects to the seat or the end directed towards the line entering the vehicle?
I own only two switches located at the entryway on the right-hand driving side.
I observed that the air recirculation button is unresponsive when activated, and I suspect it is also vacuum-controlled.