Has anybody used a reproduction Chinese radiator?

pangelos

Sep 5, 2024
My 1977 450SLC need a recore, costing $800.

For $350, I can get one directly from China, since it is widely accessible.

A radiator is required, regardless of the method of acquisition.

They may be OK, however I had a problematic encounter with a Chinese radiator (although years ago) that gave me some difficulty. The soldered brass seams were prone to cracking, necessitating their removal many times for repair attempts. At that time, I was engaged in a start-up venture and lacked the funds to take it to a radiator repair shop. I informed my mechanic acquaintance that the packaging said "Hecho en Chino." He said that I ought to have been more discerning.

I own inexpensive eBay radiators on my Jeep and have had no difficulties. It fits flawlessly and provides superior cooling compared to the original.

I recently heard that an individual acquired a complete AL radiator for a R107, noting that all components were properly positioned and the connections were secure; nonetheless, the radiator was slightly oversized and did not fit inside the radiator support.
That is too high for only a recore. You may send it to Detroit and significantly reduce costs. Four Seasons Radiator in Madison Heights, MI serviced my Mercedes-Benz and fabricated a bespoke radiator for me; both remain exceptional. They requested about $600 for an AC condenser, but I located one for $350.

For what it's worth, I opted for the re-core. Extremely happy and seems entirely OEM. Merely stating...

I purchased a Chinese aluminum radiator from eBay, but it was incompatible. The side rails were too large to fit inside the limited area. I attempted to remove the rails to facilitate the welding of my own smaller ones, but it remained too large even in their absence. Upon my request for a return, they issued a complete refund and instructed me to retain the item. I had my Behr radiator repaired at San Jose Radiator and am really satisfied with the outcome.

We correlated the MB number with a Nissens equivalent. MB: €750, Nissens: €250.

Installed around one year ago without any complications.