Low coolant level; cease engine operation 2011 XC60 D3 D5204T2

abanks8245

Sep 5, 2024
Acquired a Swedish Volvo XC60 from Italy, and the coolant level indicator, indicating to stop the engine, flashes sometimes.
Typically, after experiencing a traffic jam in the city, such congestion does not occur outside urban areas.
The level decreases below the minimum, then upon opening the cover of the coolant reservoir, it rises again.
It also occurs on an incline or during turns. I must stop, remove the cap, the liquid rises, and subsequently, no more warning message appears.
I have replaced the head gasket, reconditioned the cylinder head, rebuilt the radiator, put fresh coolant, and altered the distribution.

I am not losing coolant; it only drops below the minimum level during traffic congestion or on inclines/declines, and when I open the cap, it returns to the appropriate level.
The pressure test did not reveal any abnormalities.

Is there a method to put a temperature sensor for this engine? because I lack a temperature indication on the dashboard.
Thank you.

As shown in the cited source, these vehicles possess a sealed coolant system. When the vehicle is cold, the coolant level must exceed the minimum threshold on the reservoir. As the vehicle warms, the coolant expands and transfers into the reservoir, resulting in an elevated level. If you must replenish coolant to sustain the level, a leak exists, necessitating an investigation into the coolant's whereabouts. One possibility is that air may be present in the system due to recent maintenance. You did not specify if you replaced all the hoses and the overflow reservoir in your job. It is likely that a sticky float is present in your level sensor, which is integrated into the overflow reservoir.

Your vehicle is equipped with a temperature sensor; however, it may lack a gauge. It is unclear how it addresses the problem; however, you may purchase aftermarket gauges that connect to the ECT sensor's signal.

Thank you for your comments. The hoses and overflow reservoir were not replaced.
The peculiar observation is that the coolant diminishes, as if the system is expanding and the hoses are enlarging, rather than increasing or growing in volume. I am rather inexperienced in mechanics, which may lead to confusion. The report I received from a Volvo technician indicates that this model often has engine block fractures, which may need replacement.

I must thereafter search for a temperature gauge; it is somewhat peculiar that the vehicle was not factory-equipped with one.

The technician suggests that excessive pressure in the cooling system may be present, maybe due to a damaged head, block, or head gasket, which allows combustion gases to infiltrate the coolant channels. Two examinations can validate this. 1) Assess the coolant system pressure while the engine is at full temperature (see online resources for the maximum pressure threshold; the overflow lid is designed to release pressure when it exceeds about 1.5 Bar). Purchase a test kit that quantifies hydrocarbons (HCs) in the coolant. The hoses may become excessively rigid, indicating that they need replacement.

Thank you, that is comprehensible; I shall get one of the test kits that quantifies HCs.
I must determine if I can use the automobile for a 1000km road excursion to the seaside. I will attempt to complete the exam beforehand.
If exhaust gasses are present in the coolant, is there a chance of hose rupture, or would the cap relieve pressure if it exceeds safe levels?

Thank you for the comprehensive explanation. I hope to ascertain the necessary steps to rectify the issue, since I want to retain the vehicle for the long term.

I conducted the test for HC gasses, and it resulted in a green coloration. This indicates that the engine is leaking exhaust gasses into the cooling system.
I am changing the cap of the expansion tank to ensure it is not obstructed and can release pressure if it becomes excessive.

What is the most detrimental consequence if not rectified?

Thank you.

I do not want to revisit a previous discussion, but why would one not repair the EGR cooler prior to addressing the head gasket and associated components? 🤔