MB Dealers are exceptional.

john1tur

Sep 5, 2024
Recently acquired a pre-owned 2005 ML350, with 128,000 kilometers.
It has been serviced by a dealer under the only prior owner. I often have low expectations for "dealer service," but this is very, shall we say, insufficient.
It received services A and B consistently. For a duration of 19 years. Superior to the majority of automobiles available.
The most recent service invoice indicates a charge of $365 for an oil change. I assume they did not do the checks.
Upon meticulous examination of the vehicle, I have observed the following:
The coolant is original, overdue by 4 years according to the manufacturer's specifications, and 14 years overdue in practical terms.
The engine air filter was replaced 8 years and 40,000 miles ago.
The cabin air filter was obstructed with debris - refrain from inquiring.
Shocks are novel.
The differentials and transfer case have not undergone servicing.
The front brakes are very worn.
The spark plugs and wires are original.
The drive belt seems to be original.
All coolant hoses are authentic.

I purchased this with the understanding that I would need to do all the outstanding maintenance, so nothing here is surprising in the least. I contacted the most recent dealership that serviced the vehicle to get its history, but they informed me that they could not provide a printed record. However, I was able to acquire some historical information over the phone. The gearbox was drained and filled at 65,000 miles (hence, it is due now), and the brake fluid and power steering fluid have been changed once previously (also due now). I informed the service adviser that I wanted to get the history in order to update the maintenance records. He essentially said, "excellent, best of luck." It is strange that no proposal was made to develop an estimate. Likely due to the fact that at $350 per hour, the labor costs would exceed the car's worth.

I seldom visit dealers, and only for a component that is unavailable elsewhere, which has become very uncommon in itself. I fail to see the value they provide. If I were on a conversation with someone and had the year, make, model, and service history of the vehicle in question, why not take a minute to attempt to convert that individual into a customer?

I provided them an opportunity. I typically do all maintenance on my vehicles alone. I have overhauled many engines, manual gearboxes, and performed extensive suspension maintenance, including the pressing of bushings and ball joints. A plethora of technical tools for a hobbyist, plus I own an Xtool scanner that interprets all the codes. I fabricated the oil cooler alignment tool for the 944 using my lathe. I worked as a mechanic for 15 years in a different industry, which has instilled in me respect and understanding for technicians. It is rather intriguing to be condescended to by some mechanics who presume to possess superior knowledge. You are familiar with that individual.

I am not criticizing this dealership for any wrongdoing; I only find it challenging to understand how they justify a value of $350 per hour. Am I really so disconnected?

I have a narrative about a Mercedes-Benz dealership for you.

In the past, I used to pass by the "Mercedes-Benz of Coral Gables" showroom daily. After almost a month, I continue to see an attractive XJ-6 on the lot. I am now operating a 1980s Ford Thunderbird. One day, I arrived and began spoke with the salesman about several vehicles, except the Jaguar. I finally inquire, "What is the situation with the Jaguar?" He informs me that it is four years old, has 40,000 miles on it, was a trade-in, and they are eager to dispose of it. We negotiate briefly and ultimately reach an agreement. My fully paid T-bird and $2,000 will secure ownership of the Jaguar. We arrive at his office to complete the paperwork. I believe I provided him with cash. As I rise to go with all the paperwork in hand, he begins to thrust a service contract before me. I retract it. He presses into me again; this occurred many times. Finally, I inform him, "You may disregard the service contract; I will not purchase it." The salesman completely lost his composure. This individual was weeping... As I go from the lot, I see the sales manager vociferously reprimanding him.
I bid them a brief farewell as I vanished into the sunset. On that day, I excelled; I acquired a new Jaguar for $2,000. It is gratifying to outmaneuver a dealership.

A narrative from Canada about servicing agreements for new automobiles.
There was a period when the demand for SUVs and pickups in the US was very strong, coupled with shortages, prompting a friend of mine in the used vehicle industry to capitalize on a modest but lucrative lawful resale operation from Canada to the USA.
Requested assistance in visiting local dealerships to purchase new American-made trucks and SUVs. He selected them beforehand for me to purchase. He provided the funds; in exchange, I earned an easy $1500 every trip only for driving it off their lot.
I get payment and then transfer the ownership to him later that day. They retrieved the vehicle from my possession.
Two weeks in and after numerous trips later (seven to be precise - alone myself - with a few others assuming the 'buyer role'), I received a call from one of the local dealerships. Subsequently, I acquired many other items. The same questions were posed to me:

Q: "Greetings Mr. #####," Your pickup vehicle is no longer located in Canada. What is the situation with that?

A: "I registered my truck in Washington State." I operate a company in that location. (automated response)

Q: "That action is not permissible." It is prohibited.

A: "Certainly, I am able to." This is my vehicle. I am free to use it as I like. (automated response)

Q: "However, the new truck now indicates a transfer of ownership." You have recently purchased it.

A: "Indeed, I am capable of that as well." I allocated it to one of my enterprises for commercial reasons. I am capable of it as well. (canned response)

This little gap persisted for around 3-4 months until their complaints attracted the attention of Canadian automotive manufacturers, who finally rectified the loophole regarding cross-border sales.

Comparable to many of my Alaskan acquaintances traveling to the GWN to purchase a new truck and then driving it back to Alaska.
Identical strategy, only more economical for them compared to Alaska, even accounting for currency exchange.
They refuse to sell to an American, however they will sell to me. I would transfer ownership to my pals. Entirely legitimate.

In my situation, dealers were frustrated since they entirely forfeited money from servicing those new vehicles.

Currently, I am aware that the Mercedes-Benz dealerships in our area get just 50% reimbursement for parts prices from the headquarters for any warranty repair work submitted, with no compensation for labor expenses.
They despise doing warranty work.

I have seen these narratives from other automobile manufacturer showrooms as well.

They disdain doing warranty service.
I have seen such narratives from other automotive manufacturer showrooms as well.

This was an internal contract for $3,000 annually over five years, including oil changes and spark plugs.
At that time, $15,000 was a substantial amount of money.

It was a fraudulent scheme perpetrated by a dealer. They would add $15,000 to the price of a vehicle. for five years of oil and spark plugs...

In their perception, it was to be 17k and my transaction, and for the subsequent five years, they might offer me other unnecessary products.

It did not transpire as they had anticipated.