My 21-year-old Silverado needs new tires.

johnfrombluff

Sep 5, 2024
A number of years ago, I bought a cheap set of Michelins to replace the ones that were on my (second?) set.
I have about 70K on them, but time is running out.
When I was talking to another old man about my next set, he said, "You know there's a right tire and a wrong tire for that truck..." He then stopped talking, or I did, and I never got the answer.
In the end, I don't want to spend a lot of money, even though I love my old truck.
Thanks for the advice.
Thanks!

You're right! That's the first thing I would do. But Michs cost a lot. I need to have enough money to buy the new brand-new set that fits my Chevy.

The most recent set of tires I got for my wife's car were on Amazon. They were about 60% cheaper (installed) than the same set of tires at the nearby "Tire Discounters" shop. AND that included installation at a local tire shop of my choice. Amazon ships to them, and you make an appointment for when you want the tires fitted when you buy them on Amazon, usually a week or two ahead of time to allow for shipping. You show up for your meeting the morning of, and Amazon has already paid for it.

If money is important to you, you might want to look into that. It went well enough that I'm going to do it again soon for my 2006 Silverado, for a full set of 5. I recently looked under the car and saw dry rot on the spare tire. It's time to get a new spare, which will probably be the one that GM gave originally...

It wasn't Goodyear, Michelin, or BF Goodrich; I can't remember the name. The only store in town that had any low-profile tires in stock for her Subaru Impreza was Tire Discounters. But when they asked $700 for a set, I found the same tires on Amazon for $450 installed, so I bought them there.

It's simple to find the best deal on a truck tire by shopping online at Amazon, big box stores like Sam's and Costco, and local tire shops. Look at prices to see who has the best deal.

Funny thing about some local tire shops is that they try to sell you extra things that aren't on their website and charge you more for them. For the guy at Tire Discounters to DROP his price, I had to show him the price on the internet. It was still too high, though. I would have been stuck if there had been a blowout or something, but I was just shopping for tires because the wear bars were getting close to crossing...

I have a 2006 1500 Z71 extended cab with a 5.3L engine.

It had the pricey Michelins on it. They were very quiet and smooth. Also very pricey. They were swapped out for Cooper Discoverer AT3s a few years ago. These are light-duty and have a tread that is easy to grip. Not very big off-road tires. The 4wd didn't give me any trouble when I took them into the woods. Nothing crazy going on. It also took my race car all over the east coast. These tires don't give me any trouble. So they're stable and make the ride smooth. It wears really well. The price was a lot better than Jean-Michel. A few years ago, I bought them from DT.