Rear air conditioning in the 2019 Sorento

general_cluster

Sep 5, 2024
I am relatively new to the Sorento experience, owning a Certified Pre-Owned 2019 SXL. I often go alone or with one more person in the van. I reside in a hot environment (Las Vegas). Will using the rear air conditioning enhance the vehicle's cooling, or will it only diminish the cooling capacity of the front air conditioning? Will activating the back air conditioning be beneficial on extended drives?

I have had the car for almost a year and have never used the back air conditioning, so I am wondering about its potential benefits.

These dual systems consist of one evaporator core located at the front and another at the rear. The compressor, condenser, and fan remain unchanged in doing the laborious tasks. If the rear is unoccupied and there are no perishable items requiring refrigeration, I would allow the system to expel as much heat as possible from the front of the vehicle, while let the rear seats to manage independently. Directing air via the rear evaporator diminishes the cooling capacity at the front to some extent.

Ultimately, the average temperature inside the vehicle would remain consistent regardless of whether both the front and back are operated; nevertheless, it is preferable to maintain a cooler front for the occupants at the cost of a somewhat warmer rear where no one is seated.

Note that the back fan is manual and must be adjusted to a usable speed. Generally, it is disabled. There is no direct control for operating the back fan. My 2012 Highlander had complete control over the back zone from the dashboard. However, as previously said, I am positioned in the front and mostly within the car, which does not impact me. Activate the tailgate while the engine is running, then engage the fan and adjust the speed to medium or higher, if noise is not a concern, to facilitate airflow. Otherwise, activating the rear air conditioning is futile. I do nothing for you.

I set the rear fan speed to high and engage the rear AC button when entering a hot automobile that has been exposed to sunlight. Subsequently, deactivate it whenever circumstances stabilize. I would likely assist others if I had ever used the third-row seat, which I have not done in seven years of ownership. In truth, I believe I use it to psychologically create the sensation of producing sound and engaging in activity. I consistently keep the second-row vents open, since the second row is always folded down, to enhance air circulation throughout the cabin. As a non-smoker, the recirculation feature is consistently activated throughout the year, maintaining a cleaner filter and reducing the burden on the air conditioning system, which operates in automatic mode year-round in the SX.

I use the back air conditioning in conjunction with the retractable cargo cover for groceries at elevated temperatures on hot days. Additionally, one may unzip a cooler bag and orient the vent downwards inside it. Its effectiveness varies according on external temperatures and the duration of the journey. Rarely use the third-row seats.

We consistently maintain the third row at a lowered position for groceries and similar items. My wife desired the additional third row for enhanced safety in the event of a rear collision; otherwise, we would have purchased the Sportage, which seemed to be very identical in terms of head and leg space, but for the absence of the extra row.

The air conditioning in my 2019 Sorento is robust and frigid, irrespective of the rear AC's operational status.