The radio on the 2019 Highlander XLE will not power down.

Strider365

Sep 5, 2024
Has anybody had a problem with the Highlander radio not powering down when the on/off button is used to deactivate the vehicle? All other functions cease operation. The radio and clock illumination remain activated. I must sit in the vehicle and start it many times to completely power it down. It will last indefinitely... for hours...

I believe this could be a "feature." Although my 2015 model is older, I have operated recent rental vehicles in which the radio remains on after the ignition is turned off, however it deactivates when opening or unlocking the door. Are you indicating that your radio remains operational after exiting and locking the doors?

Disclaimer: I lack familiarity in this matter, and this is only a conjecture about my potential course of action. However, it may prove beneficial.
Upon activation of the ignition, whether in accessory or start mode, the ECU engages the ignition buses. I suppose it does this via engaging a relay. Relays are located in the fuse boxes of the engine compartment. I estimate there are around four IG buses. That will be my primary objective. I cannot specify which one it may be, but if it is obstructed, it will undoubtedly result in your symptom. You could troubleshoot the issue by exchanging relays, one at a time.

A 15A radio fuse is located in the huge engine compartment fuse box. Merely pulling it will not rectify your issue, since the source of the problem is inside the feed to that fuse. However, you may see that voltage when actuating a relay.

If it is not a relay, the only alternative is the ECU. I am uncertain how to resolve the issue apart from a costly replacement.

Best of luck; nevertheless, do inform us of your findings.

This is the same method I use to reboot the system in my BMW.
Merits consideration.
Press and hold the audio power button for a minimum of 10 seconds to initiate a system reset.