The vehicle vibrates with strong acceleration.

BillyBlast

Sep 5, 2024
I am experiencing many issues with my 2011 328i. Upon first activation, the device powers on briefly before shutting off, requiring 2-3 attempts for successful ignition; this issue occurs only in the morning. Upon activation, the vehicle exhibits an irregular idle, fluctuating between around 1000 and 1200 RPMs, however the variation is not severe. Upon accelerating, the response is erratic, and when I quickly increase to around 2500-3000 RPM, the vehicle vibrates; however, this shaking ceases beyond roughly 4000 RPM. The prior owner saw reduced voltage on the MAF sensor and Valvetronic motor. It seems to be a MAF sensor problem; however, I am uncertain due to my little experience with these vehicles. This may also be a wiring problem; still, I want comments.

My vehicle has begun to splutter and misfire upon vigorous acceleration after idling for many minutes.

Interestingly, at a cold start, the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor has a diminished function as the vehicle operates in open loop mode. It is only when the automobile has reached a closed loop state that the MAF readings become significant.

One may conceivably disconnect the MAF during the first cold start, causing the vehicle to operate on its default approach. This would exclude the MAF as the primary source of the problem.

I will do this test tomorrow morning at the first chilly start of the day. I am considering acquiring an additional valvetronic motor and MAF sensor from Pick-n-Pull this weekend. Which model years am I permitted to source from? 2008 to 2013?

Aside from the MAF sensor, what other factors might be responsible for issues while starting and idling?