Trunk Secured - trunk tumbler?

strawboss38679

Sep 5, 2024
Greetings to everybody,

Regrettably, the trunk lock tumbler on my 1992 vehicle has malfunctioned, resulting in my trunk being securely locked. The central locking functions well; nevertheless, it does not operate the trunk.

I have attempted to reach the trunk release via the passenger plate light, but have been unable.

Does anybody possess additional hints or strategies? I have a car carrier scheduled to transport the vehicle in three days and would need access to the trunk.

Thank you, everyone.

I concluded that this would be the final option - is one side less challenging than the other?

Thank you one again.

At that time, I could not reach the mechanism via the plate light. I fractured the tail light lens. The correct course of action is on the right side. The rod extends from the lock to the latch on the right side.

There there an alternative method. I am unaware of it. An effective search in BW should locate it.

I made a report on this matter here - it is necessary to fracture the appropriate light using a Dremel tool. Occurred three months subsequent to my acquisition of the vehicle—ten years before.

Regrettably, I have used the Pelican Parts approach and am have difficulty in inserting a tool in the "screwdriver" hole where the rod is inserted. I also lack the curved flat skull that is often referenced in the write-up.

Has anybody successfully used this strategy and can provide any tips?

Thank you very much!

I have used the "through the license plate light" method many times to confirm its functionality. However, I first completed it prior to shutting the trunk lid after doing some work in the trunk. Engaged the latch to the closed position, then accessed it via the license plate light to ensure I could re-enter in case of an error. Having completed it prior to shutting, it was simpler to discern precisely what needed to occur and how to secure the space. I performed the action many times subsequent to shutting the trunk lid. Indeed, it may be accomplished via the license plate illumination.

I did not exert the effort to bend a screwdriver, among other things. Minimal leverage is required, so I selected a suitably sized brazing rod, bent the tip, cut it to an appropriate length, and used it to disengage the lock. The advantage of brazing rod is its ease of modification if the first attempt is too short or too long, and it may fit into a relatively tiny space.

I recall seeing a notice from MB about the method to access the trunk without using the tail light. The remedy was a "kit" that required drilling a hole beneath the license plate to access the mechanism, thereafter opening the trunk and inserting a rubber stopper into the hole.

I now lack any advice, since it has been some time since then.

What do you mean by 'appeared to abandon me'? Can you get the key from the tumbler? Is it notchy, and will it rotate at all? In which orientation is the key slot now positioned, vertical or horizontal?
Have you attempted to depress the lock button to release the latch?

It is generally advisable to use penetrating oil in case anything gets lodged.
I have discovered that the handles including a bent metal rod for little paint rollers are rather useful, and their potential sacrifice is inconsequential.

I ultimately shattered my taillight out of desperation.

It seems that the internal mechanism of my trunk button has entirely disintegrated. I am now experiencing problems in opening it. The yellow trunk release seems to be nonfunctional.

I have removed the lock cover and am attempting to rotate the bar.

I might thereafter indicate which section to rotate. If the white plastic lever remains attached to the end of the rod, the task should be straightforward.

You are very exceptional. Without forums and people like this, I would not be able to own my dream (and sometimes nightmarish) autos.

The photographs below are suboptimal; nonetheless, the vehicle is already on the car transporter beginning its voyage across the United States. The timing of everything was great.

I will return soon with it and can provide superior photographs.

This is my 1991 model.

This is the key lock assembly, with the control rod entering the lock mechanism located at the upper right of the assembly. The rod is cylindrical (gold passivated zinc hue) and has a flat surface at either end, like a screwdriver.

Prior to doing this, please share an image of the whole key push button mechanism to ensure the rod is secure and will not dislodge.

Avoid allowing the rod to disengage, since this will need the use of a long flat-bladed screwdriver to operate the latch mechanism. If you want this approach, I can provide further photographs of the lock mechanism for your reference on the screwdriver's engagement.