Weber Carburetor: Electric or Manual Choke

ltnet356

Sep 5, 2024
I want to retrofit my B2200 with a Weber Redline carburetor in the Spring. Do they provide a selection of chokes, and if so, is Electric regarded as superior than Manual?

Is an air filter and housing included with the Weber?

Indeed, a carburetor kit with a manual choke should be available; however, these vehicles are already configured with an electronic choke. It is necessary to purchase a cable for the manual choke, extend it inside the cabin, and install the knob for the manual choke cable in an appropriate location. This entails excessive effort. To use an electric choke, just connect the pre-existing choke wire.

The Redline Weber kits include an air filter and casing for the Weber carburetor.

Thank you, I will definitely go for the electronic choke with the Weber. I was unaware that the automated chokes required electricity. I considered the existence of a temperature-sensitive thermostat that actuates the choke plates. Does my original Nikki carburetor also have an electronic choke?

Affirmative. The original carburetor has a yellow wire with a blue stripe that is attached to a terminal on the choke heater of the original carburetor.Cut the wire as near as possible to the terminal, strip the end, and attach a female blade connector. This wire will then connect to the Weber's choke heater connection. Tracing the yellow/blue wire to the rear of the alternator reveals a connection that interfaces with the back of the alternator. It provides around 7-8 volts to the heater. If the wire is insufficient in length, just augment it to get the desired extension.

I installed my own wiring on this vehicle. I purchased the vehicle devoid of an engine, so I refurbished a spare engine that I had and fitted it. I lacked the standard choke wire; so, I fabricated my own.

Certainly an electric choke version (I previously fitted a manual choke for a Weber on a 1975 Chevy Luv). Authentic Redline Weber gear, undoubtedly. This is the Weber carburetor with an electric choke on my 1988 B2200. A spare throttle return spring is connected to its wire, as I recently installed a new EGR block-off plate provided by Mazda Mitch. I am experimenting with a different-length return spring, as the EGR valve is unnecessary with the Weber, and a fully closed EGR valve can remain in position.

There are many tasks you must do with a new Weber kit:
Paramount: Achieve precise flatness for Weber adapters by sanding them on a piece of glass using wet/dry sandpaper.

Apply a thin layer of Permatex Aviation or a comparable product (NOT RTV) to the gaskets for the adapters and the base of the carburetor.
Properly torque the mounting screws and nuts. Did you apply blue Loctite to their threads?
Connect the electric choke of the Weber to the back of the alternator. If the bi-metallic spring does not get heat from the choke heater to open the choke butterfly, the fuel-air combination will be too high for a warm engine.
Seal all vacuum ports with high-quality covers or alternative materials such as vacuum tubing and golf tees.
Obtain a more robust throttle return spring.
I used 14mm x 1.5mm wheel lugs from O'Reilly's to seal the twin tube outlets emerging from the top manifold heat shield. I fabricated a custom block-off plate for the residual PAIR tube.

The PTC heater is unnecessary underneath the stock carburetor; however, shorter screws than those included in the package may be required. I acquired shorter screws for my project from Ace Hardware.

I saw some in the Help area of Autozone, although they may be very lengthy. I have acquired springs from Ace Hardware. I first used a 2-inch long, 3/8-inch coil but have recently transitioned to a 7/8-inch long, 5/16-inch coil due to acquiring a new EGR block-off. The pedal is now easier to depress, necessitating some adjustment, although it still effectively shuts the throttle. These springs can be easily extended by hand; if they are difficult to elongate, then the spring is too powerful.